Friday 13 April 2018

REVIEW - The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw

So I got this book in my March box of BookBoxClub, the theme of the month was 'Under The Sea'. Anyone that knows me, knows I love mermaids/sirens/pirates, anything to do with the sea, so this theme was perfect for me. After I read the blurb of the book I was already obsessed with the idea of the book and now I've finished reading it I'm just obsessed with the book itself. After reading back this post I can confirm it is spoiler free! Woo, I'm getting better at this because this time I didn't even have to change anything!
My Rating: 


So the blurb for this book (taken from Goodreads) is:
Welcome to the cursed town of Sparrow…

Two centuries ago, in the small, isolated town, three sisters were sentenced to death for witchery. Stones were tied to their ankles and they were drowned in the deep waters surrounding the town. Now, for a brief time each summer, the sisters return from the depths, stealing the bodies of three weak-hearted girls so that they may seek their revenge, luring boys into the harbor and pulling them down to their watery deaths.

Like many locals, seventeen-year-old Penny Talbot has accepted the fate of the town. But this year, on the eve of the sisters’ return, a boy named Bo Carter arrives; unaware of the danger he has just stumbled into or the fact that his arrival will change everything...

Mistrust and lies spread quickly through the salty, rain-soaked streets. The townspeople turn against one another. Penny and Bo suspect each other of hiding secrets. And death comes swiftly to those who cannot resist the call of the sisters.

But only Penny sees what others cannot. And she will be forced to choose: save Bo, or save herself.

So I was hooked on this book by page 11 (so the end of Chapter 1). I love the story of the three Swan sisters and how they were drowned after being accused of being witches. Now every year for three weeks they inhabit bodies of three girls from town and lure boys to their death as revenge for what happened to them 200 years before.

I think what I loved most about reading this was how I was constantly thinking this was going to happen, or that was going to happen and then plot twist! I don't dislike predictable books but I definitely prefer when a book keeps me on my toes, and it's safe to say this one definitely did. I'm in a book club with people I met through the BookBoxClub meetings, we're supposed to buddy read the books from our boxes. With The Wicked Deep we started off really well.... and then more than one person finished the book on day 2 as they just couldn't put the book down - we ended up giving up on the buddy read and now I think we've all finished it... oops?

I also love how we learn about the three sisters (Marguerite, Aurora and Hazel) through flashback chapters, as well as through the people of Sparrow, as we learn just how wrong the townspeople 200 hundreds years ago were to drown them for being witches. I think the book was ended perfectly, there's not really any unanswered questions or cliffhangers so as a standalone book this is absolutely perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment