Wednesday 11 July 2018

The Classics Book Tag

Wandering through google trying to find inspiration for some new posts and I came across this tag on a blog post from 2015 - which you can find here



1. An over hyped classic you really didn't like:
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. When I was about 13 our form tutor gave everyone in her form a classic as a 'end of year' present and I got Great Expectations. It took me a while to read it because I just could not get into the book. I manged to finish it eventually but I really didn't enjoy it and I don't remember anything from the book.

2. Favourite time period to read about:
I'm very much someone who likes to read books set in the modern day. I actually struggle reading books set in older times, but I am trying to improve, mainly by planning to read more classics.

3. Favourite fairy tale:
The Emperor's New Clothes was one of my favourites when I was a child. We actually had these Storytellers which had a collection of all different stories (including this and Gobbolino the Witch's Cat) I still have all four volumes of my Storytellers (2 red and 2 blue) and I still love them.



4. What is the most embarrassed classic you haven't read yet:
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I cannot believe I've never read this as I love all the different Frankenstein adaptations I've watched and I definitely need to read the actual book.

5. Top 5 classics you would like to read (soon):
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 

6. Favourite modern book/series based on a classic:
I love Christina Henry's book Lost Boy. It's a re-telling of, you guessed it, Peter Pan, and I was absolutely hooked (pun definitely intended) when reading it.


7. Favourite movie version/tv-series based on a classic:
Lost in Austen. This was a four part tv-series based on Pride and Prejudice but with a modern twist and I love this. So much so that I actually have it on DVD.


8. Worst classic to movie adaptation: 
I can't actually think of a worst one, but of the different adaptations of Pride and Prejudice I've seen the 2005 one with Keira Knightly is probably my least favourite (I still have a steel book DVD version though)

9. Favourite edition(s) you'd like to collect more classics from:
I would love more of the books from the Penguin modern classics, I currently only have Pride and Prejudice but they all look so gorgeous



10. An under hyped classic you'd recommend to everyone:
1984 by George Orwell. I remember reading this in school and I absolutely loved picking this apart with my teacher and classmates. I definitely need to read this again, now as an adult

     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playlist for writing this post - this was the Spotify 'Emo Forever' playlist...
  • Cute Without the 'E' by Taking Back Sunday
  • Curse of Curves by Cute Is What We Aim For
  • What It Is To Burn by Finch
  • Emily by From First To Last
  • We Own The Night by Dance Gavin Dance
  • Radio by Alkaline Trio
  • The Space Between by Valencia
  • Tell Me I'm A Wreck by Every Avenue
  • Accidents by Alexisonfire


2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that the 2005 P&P is the weakest version (but then against the BBC series nothing much stands a chance). I personally couldn't stand 1984 but it was a long time ago I read it. Those penguin editions are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think anything can really compete with Colin Firth. See I’m not sure if I’d like it if I read it again as an adult, but I do want to find that out. Aren’t they just gorgeous!

      Delete