Tuesday 17 April 2018

REVIEW - Things I'd Rather Do Than Die by Christine Hurley Deriso

Firstly I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC for Things I’d Rather Do Than Die by Christine Hurley Deriso.

So I was a little unsure of this book after getting about 5% into it and realising that Christianity is mentioned quite a lot, only to then look at a few reviews and see other people had the same realisation as me. I also saw a lot of the reviewers DNF this book, which of course made me even more determined to finish it. Overall, I'm glad I did.

My Rating: ★★★ 


So the blurb for this book (taken from Goodreads) is:
When Jade Fulton and Ethan Garrett, the two most mismatched seniors at Walt Whitman High School, find themselves locked in an aerobics room overnight, their confinement forces them to push past the labels they’ve given each other. Amid hours of arguing, philosophizing, and silly game-playing, Ethan and Jade learn there’s a lot more to the other person than meets the eye. 

But after their night in confinement, they return to their comfort zones—Ethan’s football prowess and longstanding romance with the school beauty, and Jade’s cerebral pursuits and close friendship with the quirky Gia. Still, they find themselves inexorably pulled back to the connection they formed that night, a bond they increasingly value as Jade struggles with her dad’s cancer diagnosis and Ethan tries to distance himself from his alcoholic father. As tensions rise for both teens at home and school, Ethan and Jade learn that even though that one night changed everything, they’re going to have to make some changes themselves if they want to find their way back to each other.


I found it quite hard to get into this book, but after a few chapters I managed to push aside my lack of faith and concentrate on the actual story. I like that Ethan never tried to push his faith on to anyone, and that he even had some doubts himself. He respected that Jade didn't completely share his faith, he never spoke badly of Gia who is very much an atheist.
At one point in the story, I did want to punch Ethan, like actually full on, in the face punch him for not seeing what kind of person Brianne is. Then even when he does see her for what she really is, he keeps giving her second chances. But I relate to it a lot, and I remember what it was like to be 18 and 'in love'.

I do however, love how Jade is with her younger sister, not just in the role model sense, but looking out for her with the obnoxious, mean friends Sydney has. She wants Syd realise she doesn't need friends if they're going to act that way, and that she deserves better. And Jade has a moment with her step mum, Lena, which actually brought tears to my eyes.

I like how Jade and Ethan connect, but what I love is that it's not an instant teenage romance. They get to know each other and have an actual conversation, even though it was involuntary and I love that the contrast in their faith doesn't affect the friendship they build.

Overall a good story, I would recommend this but I'm not entirely sure if I would re-read at any point.


No comments:

Post a Comment