Thursday 1 November 2018

REVIEW! Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts) by L.C. Rosen

I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC for Jack of Hearts (And Other Parts) by L.C. Rosen. This review will not contain spoilers.

My Rating: ★★★★
So the blurb for this book (taken from Goodreads) is:
My first time getting it in the butt was kind of weird. I think it's going to be weird for everyone's first time, though.

Meet Jack Rothman. He's seventeen and loves partying, makeup and boys - sometimes all at the same time. His sex life makes him the hot topic for the high school gossip machine. But who cares? Like Jack always says, 'it could be worse'.

He doesn't actually expect that to come true.

But after Jack starts writing an online sex advice column, the mysterious love letters he's been getting take a turn for the creepy. Jack's secret admirer knows everything: where he's hanging out, who he's sleeping with, who his mum is dating. They claim they love Jack, but not his unashamedly queer lifestyle. They need him to curb his sexuality, or they'll force him.


As the pressure mounts, Jack must unmask his stalker before their obsession becomes genuinely dangerous...

One of the things I loved most about this book was the sex advice column. Young people don't get that sort of information about sex, and as important as it is to use protection and both be consenting, fun is also important too. Sex was such a taboo subject for teens when I was a teenager, it was all well and good gossiping about who was and wasn't 'doing it' but there was no support or advice. And let me tell you, it's not the type of thing you want to Google... and yes I am talking from experience. I wish there had been an anonymous column I could have sent in my questions and got proper answers without being judged or embarrassed. 

I loved how much of an easy read this was, and the mystery of who was terrorising Jack was very cleverly done, I didn't figure out who it was until Jack did. I also adore Ben, how completely opposite Ben and Jack are (sexually/romantically) and that Jack gives the best advice to Ben even though that wouldn't be his preference - that's true friendship.

I could probably talk about this book for hours, and how important it is to have a book where gay sex, and sex in general, is discussed openly and educationally for teens, but I'll leave it there and just say how much I loved this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment