Wednesday 5 July 2017

Book Review: The Girl Of Ink & Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave


It was the cover that first made me want to read this book, then I read the blurb and felt compelled to buy the book. Boy am I glad I did.

I started this book on the evening of 2nd July and finished on the 4th July, thats with me only reading on the 20 minute train journey to work, 50 minutes of my lunch break, and then the rest in the space of an hour and a half on the 4th. The story pulled me in so much I genuinely struggled to stop reading. 

The story itself takes quite a while to get to the action and adventure, which usually bothers me when reading a book - especially one that isn't part of a series. But I think what kept me reading was that Kiran spent this part of the book building with the backstory behind the island and Isabella's life, meaning that the rest of the book could focus on the adventure. 

I absolutely loved the contrast between Isa and Lupe, their friendship and the problems they overcome throughout. The description of the maps made them come alive, I could picture them perfectly in my mind which made me feel like I was in the story with Isabella.

The whole story was beautifully written from start to finish and I've already recommended this book to two people. On the last page a dragon tree is planted, and I won't tell you what it is named (because no spoilers) but it did make me cry a little. 




No comments:

Post a Comment