Monday 17 July 2017

2017 trip to Finland

So as my new annual tradition I travelled to Finland to visit Tessa and Tara. I appear to be going there earlier and earlier in the year; 2015 was in July, 2016 was in June and this year was April-May.
This year I went there to celebrate Vappu which for those of you who don't know is May Day. The first of May is celebrated by everyone but especially the students, who past and present wear the white graduation caps (You'll see them in the pictures below)
The traditional drink (non-alcoholic) is called Sima, if you saw it you would not want to drink it, honestly it does not look appealing but tastes so much better than it looks and they also have a traditional snack which I do not know the name of or what it is but it tastes like deep fried sugary goodness and I loved it.


The day after I flew out there we went on the day trip cruise to Tallinn in Estonia where I had meatballs and mash with cider and a shot for breakfast (because I was on holiday so why not) I finally got to see Tallinn's Old Town which is beautiful with its cobbled streets and colourful buildings.











For Vappu itself we had a BBQ at Tessa and Tara's (dressed in animal costumes) then in the evening went out to a bar. The next day, and my last full day in the country, we went to the famous Vappu picnic, where luckily the weather pulled through for us and stayed sunny but cloudy (but no rain, yay!)





I had an amazing time celebrating my first ever Vappu with some of my favourite people. Its times like these that I realise just how lucky I am to have friends like these. Here's to many more years of making memories with these girls!

And also here's to planning next year's trip to Finland, which I have pretty good ideas for already...



No comments:

Post a Comment