Wednesday 26 July 2017

Meal Prep Sunday and Healthy living

After months of saying 'I'm going to start being more healthy' 'I want to lose a little bit of weight' and not doing anything about it, I have finally kicked my butt into action and got some fresh motivation. I've been noticing more and more lately just how much weight I have put on over the last few years and, honestly, I've never actively done anything about it until now. I genuinely love it when I see women who are so comfortable with their body and how they look (no matter what their size) but I'm just not one of those people and it's getting me down more and more as time goes by.


So step one was to start eating healthier. Over the past few weeks I've been following the Weight Watchers no count plan which is honestly the best diet (but not really a diet) I have ever followed. In the plan there is so much freedom with what I eat that it doesn't feel like I'm dieting, it's more changing my lifestyle. I can eat as much fruit and veg, as much meat and fish (as long as it's not cooked in oil or battered/breaded - with the exception of the low-calorie cooking oil spray), switch white pasta and rice for brown/wholewheat and most of the Weight Watchers products are no points on the no count plan; for example bread, wraps, pitta bread, etc. Granted that almost everything else is pointed, but everyone is allocated a set amount of points they can use per week and you don't have to use all or any of the points. With both me and my mum following this plan we've found that there are so many ways of substituting different ingredients to make a meal no count friendly, or as low in points as possible. As my mum actually goes to the meetings and weigh-ins she also has access to buy other products only available to people who go WW, like the cookbooks, and honestly the cook books are the best. Between us we've both made a few of the meals from these books and they always turn out so amazing, it's a complete bonus that they're healthy.


Step two was meal preps. My main problem is that I'm lazy where my lunches for work are concerned. Having to prepare and cook something every day for my lunch was so time consuming and I ended up going the lazy (expensive and unhealthy) route and just going out of the office for lunch. So I did some googling and found some meal prep recipes which I could adapt to the Weight Watchers plan, whilst not being too expensive and only taking me a couple of hours (if even that) on a Sunday afternoon. I'm now on Week 4 of meal prepping and I'm genuinely loving the food as much as I'm loving the fact I don't have to come home from work and start thinking about lunch the next day. (Although I'm not sure I took a picture of Week 3's meal)



Week 1: Pesto Chicken Pasta
Week 2: Teriyaki Chicken
Week 3: Pesto Chicken and Veggies
Week 4: One-Pan Chicken and Veggies

Step three was exercise. I don't hate exercise, in fact I quite enjoy it, but I had no motivation to do it. Then my friend mentioned about also wanting to lose weight but exercise needed to fit with the budget - putting gyms out of the equation. So we decided to dust off our tennis rackets and go to our local park twice a week for some (very badly played) tennis. We've been a few times now and even though we are completely terrible and won't make it to Wimbledon any time soon, we have such a good time, and laugh so much at how terrible we are. I'm also trying to kick my butt into going running, but that motivation has not come to me as of yet.


Another little thing that my friend came up with to help us with the weight loss side of our journey is a chart so we can visualise how much we are losing. First we worked out how much we want to lose in pounds and then she made charts for us both where we can fill in our start weight and goal weight, she even added little motivational quotes at the bottom. Each pound we lose we will shade in a circle so we can actually see our weight dropping off and not have to rely on our clothes getting looser.



So yeah that's how my new, healthy lifestyle is going, its been about 4 weeks of the healthy eating, and 2 weeks of the tennis - so far I've only lost 2lbs but I'm happy with that at the moment, because it shows I'm starting to make progress. If any of you have any tips on anything else that can help or even just some more meal prep recipes please let me know; either drop a comment on this blog post or on any of my other social media (which the links to are on the right side of this page).



No comments:

Post a Comment