Sunday 16 September 2018

REVIEW! My Whole Truth by Mischa Thrace

I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC for My Whole Truth by Mischa Thrace. This review will not contain spoilers.


My Rating: ★★★



So the blurb for this book (taken from Goodreads) is:
Seventeen-year-old Seelie Stanton never wanted to kill someone. She never wanted to be invisible in her own family, never wanted to crush on her best friend Alyssa, and she definitely never wanted to know how effectively a mallet could destroy someone’s head. 

But the universe doesn’t care what she wants. Shane Mayfield doesn’t care what Seelie wants either. When the former high school basketball star attacks her, she has no choice but to defend herself. She saved her own life, but she can’t bring herself to talk about what happened that night. Not all of it. Not even when she’s arrested for murder.

This book begun with the line "The air is dead with the stench of blood. Mine. His." and that line in itself had me gripped to the story. My heart was breaking for Seelie; she is arrested and put on trial where she is made out to be a murderer, when in fact what she did was in self-defense, and to keep herself alive. This book handles victim blaming perfectly (unlike another book I recently read) and even though she is terrorised by her high school peers and branded a murderer, she has friends who stick by her and she is given a fair trial.

It is clear from the beginning that she does not have much of a relationship with her mum, which from what I gather is because of a mix of her mum never really seeming to be there for her, which isn't helped by her father dying previous to the events of the book. She also doesn't have many friends, but the three friends she does have are fiercely loyal and are there for her through the entire process of the trial.

Some of the subjects brought up in the story are quite dark for a YA novel but the way the author has written them is perfect. A little over half way through there is something revealed, which I had an inkling about, and that, as well as the whole court proceedings show how much time the author put into researching before writing this book. The ending had me crying and I'm so glad I read this book. The release date (according to Amazon) in the UK for this is 2nd October for Kindle format, and 1st November for paperback - I highly recommend this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment