Tuesday 20 March 2018

REVIEW - Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Firstly I just need to say that I read this book in two and half hours, which is a new record for me. I’m a fairly quick reader but I have never read a book so quickly. I absolutely love this book and it’s so beautifully written, I cried actual happy tears and my heart is bursting! 

I also, after typing this, re-read the whole post to check for spoilers and I can confirm this is spoiler free!!!




So I want to talk about a few little things that I loved (which do not giveaway any part of the story):

1) The mention of Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy slash fanfiction makes me happy because.... well I love a bit of Drarry. My favourite is It Starts With a Spin which I am providing you the link for, I think everyone who loves Drarry needs to read this.

2) The Freudian slip Halloween costume is genius, I really wish I'd had that kind of imagination for a costume when I was in school.

3) The reasons behind Blue and Simon's email addresses are so clever. 

4) Once you've read this book and know who Blue is, re-read chapter 7 and cry with me

5) "Being secure in your masculinity isn’t the same as being straight" - yes yes yes 

6) Page 129 of the book

7) The book doesn't end with Simon finding out who Blue is, we get some story afterwards which I love love love!

8) How much Simon loves Oreo's, I relate to this kid more than I'd like to admit. (I'm also going to put a picture of an Oreo below like Blue does to Simon with the Reese's cup)



I mean I could sit here listing things but I will be here until I've just told you the whole story, so I'll stop now. Thinking back to before we find out who Blue is I feel so stupid not figuring it out. I'm still in total shock at who it was, and also looking back was Simon ever really trying to hide who he was? Okay so now on the actual story....

A coming out story makes me happy. When Simon and Blue talked about coming out to their parents my heart ached a little because I remember that feeling. Granted I only came out as bisexual, but it's still a big deal for a 14 year old who has no idea what people, their family mainly, will say and how they'll act. I think that's why this book is so important, I 100% agree with Simon when he says how everyone should have to come out, and I need to quote the book here because nothing has ever been more relevant:

"It is definitely annoying that straight (and white, for that matter) is the default, and that the only people who have to think about their identity are the ones who don't fit into that mold. Straight people really should have to come out, the more awkward it is, the better."

I asked myself that question quite a lot when I had my first girlfriend; two years before when I had my first boyfriend, there was literally no hesitation with saying 'I have a boyfriend' but the moment I was dating a girl I hesitated on the word 'girlfriend' and that was probably one of the reasons we only dated for a few months (that and we were 15 years old).

The fact Blue is so scared to reveal himself to Simon breaks my heart because I think deep down he knows that by this point Simon is head over heels for him, but being Blue is his security blanket, as long as they don't meet they can stay in their little bubble and nothing changes. When Blue actually does reveal who he is to Simon I think I stopped breathing for a moment because it was such a beautiful moment and I cried like the soppy thing I am.

I'm going to leave it there because if I type anymore then I'll start unintentionally spoiling the story, so now I'm going to re-read this post to make sure I haven't already done so, also....
READ THIS BOOK, IT'S AMAZING!


My Rating: 





No comments:

Post a Comment