Monday 26 February 2018

REVEIW! - Fandom by Anna Day


So this book was in the January box for my Book Box Club subscription box and I'm so glad it was. I actually buddy read this with some of the girls I know through Book Box Club; although I was a little naughty and accidentally finished reading it the day before we should have. This review has no spoilers so if you haven’t read the book yet have no fear, you’re safe with this review


So the book is based around Violet, her brother Nate and her two best friends Alice and Katie. They're fans of a book/film called The Gallows Dance, from which two actors are guests at Comic-Con, the four go to con all cosplayed up, ready to meet the actors. Something happens which means they end up sucked into the story of The Gallows Dance and they mess up the plot of the story, meaning they then have to get canon back on track.

My first impressions on the characters from the first few chapters; Violet being in shock could ruin them setting the story back on track so she needs to snap out of it and fix what they did, but Nate is smart and quick thinking enough that he might be able to help Violet through it. Katie is literally my spirit animal - she's oblivious to anything happening because she hasn't read the book or seen the film but I love how she says it how it is (also there is a point in the book where she calls someone a 'skankasaurus' and I think that it's officially my new favourite insult). Alice is selfish, self-absorbed, she's only out to please herself, and I don't get why Violet is friends with her.

Throughout the whole book my opinions on the characters didn’t change much, Nate remained my favourite the whole way through and Alice was still my least favourite, I actually begun to dislike her more and more as time went on. The appearance of a new character, Ash, was welcoming and I’m a sucker for cute, fictional boys so obviously I fell in love with him, oops...

My overall opinion on the book as a whole was pretty good. It was cringey, cliché and at first completely predictable, until the end when there was an unexpected twist, which I think saved the overall ending of the book. Up until that point in the book it was pretty much the thought of ‘yeah this is how it’s going to end, that’s it, nothing else’ then bam, twist in the story. 

I would definitely recommend this book, but if you don’t like predictable, cliché stories, with lots of references to other fandoms (twilight, hunger games and Harry Potter to name but a few) then this book would not be for you. I personally would 100% read this again. I also just want to say how proud I am of myself for writing this whole review with no spoilers whatsoever. It was touch an go for a while with a few parts having to be re-written but I did it... go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment