Friday 17 August 2018

REVIEW! Are We All Lemmings & Snowflakes by Holly Bourne

This book deserves so much more than just 5 stars, I genuinely think this has taken top place for my favourite book ever! Also... SPOILER FREE!!!

Rating: ★★★★★
So the blurb for this book (taken from Goodreads) is:
Welcome to Camp Reset, a summer camp with a difference. A place offering a shot at “normality” for Olive, a girl on the edge, and for the new friends she never expected to make – who each have their own reasons for being there. Luckily Olive has a plan to solve all their problems. But how do you fix the world when you can’t fix yourself?

I don't even know where to start with this. I took the picture above just after I finished reading it, sat in my garden crying at the book. Now while typing this I'm still on the verge of tears again (not helped by the fact Holly liked my picture on Instagram and replied to my tweet). 

I relate to Olive quite a bit in this book, and I think anyone who has struggled with their mental health, whether it be fairly mild like me or more severe like Olive, can relate. Dealing with mental illness is hard, especially when we live in a world of "some people have it worse than you" or "oh try not to worry about it" or "but you always seems so happy". Mental illness is still a taboo subject and it shouldn't be because it's important, and this book really highlights that. Most of all I love the line 'Kindness Is Contagious' and it is true to an extent. I think it's a mantra every single person in this world should tell themselves, I genuinely believe it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Anyway, if I carry on typing I'll just end up rambling, but I think whether you have a mental illness or not you should 100% read this. I've been having a particularly bad week (or three) mentally and reading this book over the last few days has really helped me.






No comments:

Post a Comment