Sunday 24 June 2018

REVIEW! War Storm by Victoria Aveyard

My heart is broken that this series has ended, but oh my. What. An. Ending. The Red Queen series was recommended to me about two years ago by a colleague I worked with at the time (I could always rely on Anna to recommend good books to me). I borrowed Red Queen off her and while I was halfway through the book, I ordered myself a copy of Red Queen and Glass Sword. I got through them quite quickly then had a six month wait for book three, Kings Cage, with only the two novellas in Cruel Crown (Queen Song and Steel Scars) to keep me happy. However, the year and a half wait from finishing Kings Cage in February 2017 to War Storm in May 2018 was worse though. But after the book signing I attended (which you can read about here) my wait was over and I have now finished the series...

WARNING! This review will have spoilers; I honestly tried to write this review spoiler free but I couldn't do it.


My Rating: ★★



So when I met Victoria, she asked if I had read War Storm yet, and I told her I hadn't, her exact words were "don't hate me" which made me worried for how the book was going to end. It's safe to say I do not hate her one little bit, the book ended exactly how I wanted it to.

I think the character development throughout the series was incredible; I loved how a character I hated (Evangeline) become such a strong character and by the end I was rooting for her as much as Mare - when she finally stood up to her father and  Tolly followed her I actually cried because I was so happy for her. We saw Cal go from being his father's brainwashed son thinking he was still doing what was right  to actually thinking for himself and making his own choices, choices that would benefit everyone and not just the silvers. We saw Mare be selfless when she was willing to break her own heart walking away from Cal because he wasn't willing to do what was right for equality. And as much as I hated Maven, by the end of the book I actually felt sorry for him, it was never his fault he was the way he was, he was essentially programmed that way by his mother. In the end he got exactly what he deserved.

When Cal nearly died at the hands (or should I say water) of Iris, which led him and Mare to spend the night together it was such a bittersweet happiness, because I was so happy they were back together, but I knew it wouldn't last for them.

I could literally talk about that final book for hours but I think I'll leave it there. I am however beyond excited for Victoria's new project with the new novellas. Even though (from my understanding) it will be different characters, I'm not ready to let this world go yet.

If you ignored the spoiler warning and read this far (without having read the series) I do apologise but you should definitely get your butt to a bookstore or library and get these books. I cannot recommend them enough. I've already recommended them to my mum, sister, nephew's girlfriend, as well as various friends. I even got my colleague reading them (she's on War Storm now so I'm looking forward to our lunch break discussion once she has finished it).

     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playlist for writing this post - this was my Spotify shuffling all songs...
  • Young Volcanoes by Fall Out Boy
  • Still Figuring Out by Elliot Minor
  • Holly I'm The One by Son Of Dork
  • Save You Tonight by One Direction
  • Welcome To The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance
  • Made Up Stories by Go:Audio
  • Dawson's Geek by Busted
  • Moments by One Direction




No comments:

Post a Comment