Tuesday 13 September 2016

My love for Cassandra Clare books

So for those who know me well know that one of my favourite authors is Cassie Clare and I'm obsessed with every book she's ever written (even the ones she's only co-written). I think everyone should reads these books so I decided to do a blog post dedicated to why you should read these books.


The Mortal Instruments (TMI)
So this particular series is made up of six books; City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls and City of Heavenly Fire. I actually found the first two books really hard to get into, and I don't personally think it was anything to do with the books, I just had stuff going on around me that I couldn't escape from mentally. It took me about a month to read the first book and then I started the second book straight after, read three chapters, put the book down and didn't touch it again for about 4 months (oops). By the time I picked it back up again something in my mind changed and it literally felt like I'd jumped into Shadowhunter world and I finished the second book in two days. After that I sailed through the books and I became so hooked that I had already bought the prequel series and was anticipating the release of the sequel series.

My favourite characters from these series of books are Magnus and Simon. With Magnus I loved him from the first line where he was in the book. Simon on the other hand annoyed me quite a bit, (what with his obsession over Clary) but by mid-way through book two I loved him almost as much as I love Magnus. I think my least favourite character from these books is probably Jocelyn and honestly I cannot explain why, there's just something about the character I don't like much.

Basically if you love vampires, werewolves, demons, warlocks and anything to do with the supernatural then to be honest then you will adore these books as I do and I highly recommend you read these books if you haven't already. I do not recommend you watch the film that was made of the first book (unless you want to be sat there for 130 minutes pointing out things that they did wrong). However, if you purely want to watch it to stare at Jamie Campbell-Bower for 130 minutes then be my guest because that is exactly what I do sometimes. They did realise their mistake and decided against making the other books into films, and instead went for a new approach with a TV show instead. I was ridiculously excited when I found out, but I was also very sceptical after seeing the movie. Thankfully I was wrong to have my doubts and they cast every character perfectly, obviously they do not follow the book 100% BUT they follow it close enough and I'm hooked (also Malec.... need I say more?!)

The Infernal Devices (TID)
So this series is a prequel of The Mortal Instruments and is a trilogy consisting of The Clockwork Angel, The Clockwork Prince and The Clockwork Princess. It follows the story of Tessa Gray (who we meet in City of Heavenly Fire briefly) and two parabatai that she meets, Will and Jem. Now for this whole trilogy I was torn between which man I loved more, Will and Jem are both so perfect and I know at least a few people agree with me that it's impossible to choose between them both.
This trilogy was beautiful and perfect, it made me laugh and cry (a lot) and Cassandra's research behind 1800's England is amazing and, just wow.

The best order to read the books is The first five TMI books, then The Infernal Devices and then City of Heavenly Fire, I did not take this advice and read City of Heavenly Fire before TID which gave away some major spoilers. So if you read these, don't do what I did, you should read them in the correct order (unlike me).

The Bane Chronicles
So this book in ebook format is actually 10 short stories;
1) What Happened in Peru
2) The Runaway Queen
3) Vampires, Scones and Edmund Herondale
4) The Midnight Heir
5) The Rise of the Hotel Dumont
6) Saving Raphael Santiago
7) Fall of the Hotel Dumont
8) What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything (And Who You're Not Officially Dating Anyway)
9) The Last Stand of the New York Institute
10) The Course of True Love.

However, in the physical printed format these are all bound as one book, along with a special exclusive called The Voicemail of Magnus Bane.

These novellas are essentially just different events throughout Magnus Bane's life - some connect to TMI and TID and some are just side stories from his life that Cassie Clare wrote for us. I easily read all ten of these stories in the same day... what can I say, I did say Magnus is my favourite character.

The Tales From The Shadowhunter Academy (TTFTSA)
Like with the Bane Chronicles, The Tales From The Shadowhunter Academy is a collection of short novellas which are set straight after TMI series and stretch over the next two years. They finish three years before the next set of books start.
The stories in order are;
1) Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy
2) The Lost Herondale
3) The Whitechapel Fiend
4) Nothing But Shadows
5) The Evil We Love
6) Pale Kings and Princes
7) Bitter of Tongue
8) The Fiery Trial
9) Born To Endless Night
10) Angels Twice Descending

TTFTSA follows Simon's journey over the two years that follows the ending of City of Heavenly Fire, I can't really say much about these books without giving away spoilers so just read them and love them like I do.... Although I must admit I don't actually know many people that have read these novellas, they do not appear to be very well known which is a shame cause I think they're amazing.

Shadowhunter's Codex
This is literally a copy of what I imagine every young Shadowhunter reads to learn the origin of their birthright as a Shadowhunter. However it has added scribbles from Simon, Clary and Jace which make it oh so much better. It also has pictures, including pictures of the most commonly used runes.

The Dark Artifices (TDA)
The most recent trilogy is The Dark Artifices which consist of; Lady Midnight, Lord of Shadows and The Queen of Air and Darkness. As I type this blog post only Lady Midnight has been released and Cassandra Clare has just posted the release date for Lord of Shadows as well as a possible book cover.

TDA follows on 5 years after TMI takes place and is centred around Emma Carstairs and her parabatai Julian Blackthorn at the Los Angeles institute. Again with this book there isn't much I can say without spoilers so I'll keep this one short; if you love The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices then you will be just as 'on the edge of your seat' with this. I found it very hard to put this book down and when the story ended I just stared at a black page for about 10 minutes before going online and searching for a release date for book number two.

The Last Hours (TLH)
All we currently know about the Last Hours trilogy is what is on Cassandra Clare's website (which I have included a link to) and that they will be set in 1903, be based around the children of characters from TID and will interlock with TDA trilogy.
The three books will be called; Chain of Thorns, Chain of Gold and Chain of Iron.

The Magisterium Series
This series of books is completely unrelated to all of Cassie's other books and she is actually co-writing these with Holly Black. There are five books altogether; The Iron Trial, The Copper Gauntlet, The Bronze Key, The Silver Mask and The Enemy of Death. The third book in the series has only just been released but I am already hooked on this series.

It's set in a magic school where Callum Hunt starts off doing everything he can not to be accepted into the school, but when he is accepted he spends the first few weeks doing everything he can to try and get expelled (with no luck). However, once he begins to learn control over his powers and make friends he does everything in his path to stay. Obviously there is 'a big bad' like with most stories but this series has a twist that you don't expect. I think the twists are one of the reasons I love this series so much, you literally cannot predict what direction these stories are going to follow.



So that is all of Cassie Clare's books (to date), let me know if you've read any of her books and if you have let me know what you think. I love talking about these books to people but unfortunately I do not have enough people who have read them that I can talk to about.

Also here is her website: http://www.cassandraclare.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment